Examine your interests, abilities, and values by asking
What excites me? What types of jobs or careers appeal to me? What are my strengths? What are my weaknesses? What kind of skills do I have? What classes did I enjoy in high school? What were my best subjects? What kinds of extracurricular activities did I participate in while in high school? What have I learned from part-time or summer jobs I held? What are my short-term goals? What are my long-term goals?
Review the links below for a list of majors available at Arkansas State University and information on what you can do with those majors.
- Maintain a 2.0 GPA to avoid poor academic standing.
- Review the Degree List of available options at A-State.
- Review the information found at the site: What can I do with this major?
- Attend the Annual Select-A-Major Fair to explore the many major options at A-State and talk to department representatives from across campus.
- Make an appointment at the ASU Counseling Center to complete the FOCUS Assessment
- Make an appointment with an advisor in the Wilson Advising Center to discuss your abilities and interests
- Take an introductory course in a field that interest you.
- Make an appointment with the Career Services Center to explore relevant work/volunteer experiences in the areas that interest you.
- Conduct an honest evaluation of your options based upon what you have learned.
- Narrow your choices and focus on choosing a major. Based on your research and self-assessment, you should now have a better idea of the majors you are not interested in pursuing as well as a handful of potential majors that do interest you.
- Visit with an advisor in the field(s) that interests you to discuss your options further.
- Start and maintain a personal academic portfolio with grades, reports, projects, honors, activities and a current resume.