What to notice on a transcript or in self-service for advising:
- Enrollment test scores (ACT/SAT/ASSET) for placement in developmental courses
- Transfer work
- Earned hours vs. attempted hours
- Significant changes in GPA per semester
- Classes that may be repeated for grade re‐computation
- Classes that must be repeated to graduate
- Trends in types of classes a student is failing
- Trends in types of classes a student is showing excellence in
- Current academic standing
- Current class level
- An abundance of coursework not linked to a degree. This may be the result of a number of situations and does not necessarily imply that a student has a faulty transcript.
ASU faculty have access to their advisees’ transcripts on "Self Service"
- Have student review their own transcript on Banner Self Service as prelude to next appointment.
- Challenge student about discrepancies on their transcript. "I understand that you are in a hurry to graduate, yet each semester you drop the classes that will assist you in reaching that goal. How can you create a schedule this term that is more realistic?"