The requirements for the PhD program are similar to the graduate school requirements. A GRE score and resume are not required to apply for Heritage Studies. Three letters of reference, an autobiography, completed application and $50 fee, official transcripts, immunizations records (MMR) and appropriate TOEFL or IELTS score and a financial guarantee must be submitted with the graduate school application.
ADMISSION FOR INTERNATIONAL GRADUATE STUDENTS
To be considered for admission to the Heritage Studies Ph.D. Program at Arkansas State University, the following academic requirements must be met:
- The academic preparation of applicants must be the equivalent of a four-year bachelor's degree from an institution of the United States with additional graduate classes equivalent to at least eighteen semester hours of master's level study in humanities and/or social sciences. Applicants who have received an appropriate master's degree in a field related to Heritage Studies are preferred.
- The records of previous studies must reveal appropriate standards of academic achievement.
- Applicants must meet all Graduate School and all Heritage Studies Ph.D. program admission requirements. The required interview may be done through Internet video conferencing. The required example of an applicant's research and writing on a scholarly topic must be in English. Please refer to our program website for more information
Students must submit the following documents at least 3 months prior to enrolling:
- A completed application for graduate admission.
- A non-refundable application fee of U.S. $50. Payment may be made by check drawn on a US bank or by credit card. If you are paying with a credit card, please use the Credit Card Payment Form.
- Official transcripts of all school, college, and university records.
- An official report of the score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (550 or higher on the paper-based test, 213 on the computer-based test, or 79 on the Internet based TOEFL or 6.0 on the IELTS) unless a degree has been earned from an American institution, or the native language is English.
- "Proof of Immunization Against Measles-Rubeola and Rubella" if the applicant was born after January 1, 1957. The immunization must have been administered after the applicant's first birthday and after January 1, 1968.
- An official bank statement which verifies that at least US $20,600 is available for student's expenses. (This amount is based on the graduate cost of attending determined before the start of the upcoming academic year.) The financial statement should be prepared and dated within the last six months, and should be submitted in original form.
- If you wish to live on campus in an apartment or residence hall, you must complete a residence life application with a deposit of $US 100. Deposits may also be made either by check or by credit card. For more information, visit the residence life website.